Sunday, January 11, 2009

On Becoming Proactive

This has been a very trying week. I found out at the end of the prior week, my dear old Dad had to have another heart cath done and they were going to try and place the stents and see how much improvement there was, if that wasn't successful, they were going to go ahead with bypass surgery. Wednesday he went in for his work up, Thursday they did the procedure, Friday they told him his heart was a lot worse than anticipated, and they would have to go ahead with the bypass, he's also got a faulty heart valve. According to him, the good news was that the Dr's could "fix it", and the bad news was the amount of time he'll be down for recovery and cardiac rehab. I spoke with him on Friday, and he said that he was scheduled for the bypass on Monday. He was in very good spirits all things considered. I can't say the same for myself, as I'm 7 hours away from him and feel like there's nothing I can do from here to be helpful. Saturday morning I get a call from Clytie, they moved the surgery up, and he was going to have the bypass done that afternoon (yesterday). Everything went well, and last night he was in recovery, doing as well as can be expected. I was relieved (and could finally unclench my whole body, and relax a little). I've been so stressed over this, that I must have just been clenching everything, so now, my entire body hurts from my head to my toes.

On to becoming proactive.. Friday I had to bring my car in to have the CV joints replaced. The repair shop is just over a mile from my apartment, so I figured I'd drop it off, and walk home. It was really quite cold, so that morning, I was told by Rich (the Boy) to bundle up, and I did, layer upon layer, I would be warm. I drop the car off and start on my walk home, I'm about a half mile into it, and I'm sweating profusely (I'm partly blaming it on all the layers) and thinking dear god, I'm horrifically out of shape, as I crossed the street, hoping that I wouldn't get plowed down by traffic before I could make it across. In light of all that's going on with my Dad, and the horrible shape that I'm in at this point in my life, I've really decided it's time to start doing something about it. Sooo cardio work outs here I come. I've gotta start slow, but I've gotta do it. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Clumsy Knitter said...

I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing well. It's always hard to be far away when things like that come up.

As for the cardio, you can do it! Like you said, just start slow. You don't want to overwork yourself the first time out and then be too sore/tired to do it again. (Ask me how I know. ;-))