Thursday, May 24, 2007

WhodaThunkit?

I don't know what's gotten into me as of late. I'm wondering if it's my age catching up with me, making me really sense my place in life, or if I'm just feeling a bit stuck where I am currently. I'm feeling the overwhelming need to start making improvements all around. First we have my quitting smoking (25 days and counting), going back to WW, and working out on a regular basis. Should those things not be enough change for me, I've now decided I want to go back to school in the fall.

See here's the thing. I've been working in my field for 17 years, but have yet to go to school and get my license. In all honestly, I've been fortunate enough to work in practices where I didn't actually need it. Alright, in brutal honesty, I've been either too lazy or afraid to go back to school because I feared I wouldn't do well. Due to complications that were partly beyond my control (I say partly, because I could have sucked some of it up and busted my ass rather than just say fuck it) I never finished high school and never went to get my GED. I'm not really proud of any of this, but I was young, quite rebelious, and quite frankly, got off in having people tell me I wouldn't be able to do this than and the other because I didn't have a diploma, then going out of my way, above and beyond to show them not only could I do it, but I can do it better than many. Kinda my big "Oh yeah, well fuck you" to the world.

Now I find myself in the position of knowing that not only would I be able to make more money, but I'd also have many more opportunities available to me if I had my license. I'm also in the position of knowing that the OS program in my area only takes new students in the fall. Soooooo it's either now, like RIGHT NOW, or wait until next year to start. The program I'm interested in is a 3 year apprenticeship program. This means that I've really got to get my shit together, not just study for but pass the GED, then college placement tests then (given I don't have to take any refresher courses) interview with the head of the OS dept. and enroll by 8/31.

Just the thought of all of this makes my head spin, especially since what I remember about math couldn't even fill a thimble. The part that really gets me, is that all of the classes and labs I'd have to take, well, after 17 years, I know all that shit. It would take more out of me to just get into the program than I think the actual program itself would.

Well I'm off, just the thought of all this has me nervous and excited. I've gotta work tomorrow (yeccchhh) farkin' LUMP!

No comments: